Wednesday, June 5, 2013

‘Loudmouth’: WFAN’s Craig Carton On Life, Career, Book

Most people know Craig Carton as the co-host of Boomer & Carton in the Morning on WFAN in New York.

Most people don’t know what Carton went through and the places he worked and the people he worked for over the years to get him to where he is now.

But with the release of Carton’s book, Loudmouth everyone can find out how Carton went from living in a retirement home so he could work at a radio station in Buffalo to eventually becoming part of a No. 1 show in New York City.

Carton talks with CBS Local Sports about his book and his career path to becoming co-host of the morning show on WFAN.

CBS Local Sports: Your radio career started when you told the WGR program director Chuck Finney in Buffalo that your car wasn’t getting you back home from Buffalo and that you needed a job. Was that the most important moment to get you where you are today? 
Carton: The biggest moment ever was me telling Chuck Finney that my car wasn’t going to make it back to where I came from because if I don’t get the job in Buffalo there’s a good chance I’m not in radio at any point in my life and I’ve gone down a different career path. So that’s clearly the No. 1 biggest moment or the biggest moment of my career. There are some others along the way and even though to do this day I despise him, if I never worked for Tom Bigby in Philadelphia I never really would have learned how to radio the right way according to his teachings. And he’s one of those guys that’s like a Bill Parcells to a lot of guys in football where total bad guys don’t like him and if I never saw him again it would be great, but without him I wouldn’t be where I am today. So that’s a key moment, but also getting to New Jersey and being successful in New Jersey kind of brought my career back to life to the point where I would be considered for jobs like the one I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment