Thursday, August 29, 2013

Christie Shrugs Off Criticism for Calling Reporter a 'Dope'

New Jersey Republican Governor Chris Christie is famous for his blunt, confrontational personality, and he wants everyone to know that he's not changing.

Christie, who many expect to make a presidential run in 2016, yesterday (August 28th) shrugged off New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd's criticism of his calling a reporter a "dope." Christie had made the comment about a New York Daily News reporter after the journalist had an exchange with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan. Dowd wrote that Americans "like to elect nice guys, not belittling blowhards," and said Christie needs to take care of what she called his "temperament problem" before going on the national stage.

Christie dismissed the suggestion of national ambitions, saying, "I'm not running for anything nationally, so why should I care about that?"

He stated, "I think folks around here know that I am willing to take as well as I give. I didn't wake up this morning worried and petrified about what Maureen Dowd on the op-ed page of the New York Times thinks about me."

Christie also defended calling the Daily News reporter a dope, saying he's free to express his opinion, just as the newspaper was within its right to have called him "fatso" in a recent headline.

No comments:

Post a Comment