Monday, October 7, 2013

Reading PA Radio: Charlie Adams To Sign-Off At WEEU


Charlie Adams
Anyone who has been in his presence even for a moment, or who has listened to Charlie Adams on WEEU 830 AM in Reading, PA, or heard him sing, or read his countless travel articles and ghost stories, or participated in an event he has hosted - well, he or she understands what he means.

According to the Reading Eagle, His no-holds-barred approach crackles with the perfect blend of hilarity and audacity. He admitted he doesn't suffer fools gladly, but he likes people and he wants people to like him. Apparently it paid off upon graduating from high school, when his classmates at Exeter High School voted him most talented and wittiest.

This week, for the last time, Adams will shut off the microphone on his popular morning radio show, "Charlie & Company," 28 years after he began as its host on WEEU 830 AM, Berks County's only locally owned radio station. Wednesday (Oct. 9) is also his 66th birthday, and he's leaving now simply because, "it's time," he said with a shrug.

"No bitterness," he added. "No regret. No joy and no sorrow. I lost both my parents a few years ago, and I was forced to face my own mortality. Even though I feel like I've never grown up, I'm 66! Are you kidding me? There's so much more I want to do, and I don't have the time anymore."

He still intends to work, to continue his columns for the Reading Eagle and serve on countless and diverse local boards. He plans to write more books and compose music. He wants to take up acting, too.

The final broadcast of "Charlie & Company" - his 7,098th show - will take place Wednesday at FirstEnergy Stadium, beginning at 6 a.m. and running to noon. The public is invited. It's a flashy send-off for a guy who, at least when people are watching or listening, is flashy himself.

It's the way he always was, he confided.

No comments:

Post a Comment