Tuesday, June 3, 2014

NYC Radio: How Joan Hamburg Received The News From WOR

Joan Hamburg
Turns out last Thursday was Joan Hamburg's last day at CCM+E's WOR 710 AM and true to form:  no advance hint.

According to Cindy Adams at the NY Post,  Hamburg is not dissing the station. She says, “If they want new merchandise . . . it’s their candy store.”

Here's how it went down, according to Hamburg in the Post:

“In my office just before airtime I noticed the human resources person you see before ‘OMG, somebody’s getting fired.’ My phone rang with ‘The program director wants to see you.’ She’s with the program director. Holding a large envelope. I’m told only: ‘They’re changing programming. Your position’s been eliminated.’

“Unprepared and due at my mike in minutes, I said: ‘You’ll explain when I’m off the air.’ Like I’m some clerk from somewhere, they answered: ‘No. Leave now. You can’t go on the air.’ Excuse me? Pushed out? No goodbye to my audience of 35 years?’ It was, ‘No. No farewell.’

“Three boxes of belongings plus my computer arrived at my home immediately.”

1 comment:

  1. http://theronnierepublic.blogspot.com/2015/01/i-just-love-listening-to-joan-hamburg.html

    Always listening to talk radio and I have been listening to Geraldo on WABC for over a year now....Recently moving to wichita and looking for good talk radio, Geraldo is really a well done show and hard to beat as he knows the news, the international news, all the big talkers go on his show and most importantly of all......he is not afraid of an opinion different than his. Then I discovered Curtis and Kuby....hilarious and equally informative. Now I love Joan Hamburg, as well. Planning on visiting New York to see Letterman, Joan has all of the tips on the shows and where to eat. I always listen to Joan now live or on the podcast because I love her friendly voice and she has great information and recipes....she is very interesting, as well. As far as I can see or hear, WABC is one of the best talk radio and information stations on the radio today. I also listen to Larry Mendte on Sunday evenings and he often fills in for Geraldo. He is an excellent reporter, too. Now, I do not always agree with Larry but he always researches his facts for the show very well....love to write about him on my blog. Thank you for your time and best of luck to Joan......the station is lucky to have her.

    ReplyDelete