Monday, August 11, 2014

Cleveland Radio: Nick Camino Is WTAM's NKOB

Nick Camino
Although  Nick Camino is not a new radio voice in Cleveland, but at age 26 he's stepping into a big time slot and big shoes, succeeding the likes of Bob Frantz, Mike Trivisonno and local radio god Pete Franklin on the night shift at WTAM 1100 AM.

Camino took some time off the air for a Q&A, via telephone and email, with The Plain Dealer's Michael Heaton.

He hegan working at Newsradio WTAM 1100 as a part-time producer/board operator in 2006 mostly nights and weekends while still in college at Cleveland State.  Camino Got hired on a full-time basis in 2010 as Cleveland Indians beat reporter and weekend talk show host at WTAM 1100.

Camino was asked how he felt stepping into some big shoes following Bob Frantz?
A. Well, not just Bob Frantz, but the night slot in general on Newsradio WTAM 1100. Sure, I like and respect Bob Frantz, it's very humbling when you begin to think about some of the hosts who have been in that same night slot in my same chair like Pete Franklin, Mike Trivisonno and even Kevin Keane, as well as Bob. So yeah, I've definitely got big shoes to fill. 
But to be honest, I'm ready for this opportunity. I've always dreamed of having my own talk show where we can have fun, and be interactive while also informative. We're going to push the envelope, have fun and be entertaining. That's what talk radio is about. I've learned so much already in my time working at Newsradio WTAM 1100 and I'm excited to showcase that with my own program whether it's sports, news or even politics. I realize this is a great opportunity for a young guy like myself. I hope to be a success and validate the confidence shown in me by my bosses.
One of Camino's pet peeves with talk radio is not taking calls. "It's talk radio! The listener wants to have a say, and without them or advertisers, you're not employed. But you also have to keep in mind, even if you don't have calls, you can still have an informative talk show. It doesn't have to be 24/7 Browns. There are so many stories both sports and non-sports related that people would love to hear about and talk about."

No comments:

Post a Comment