Thursday, September 11, 2014

SF Radio: 49ers Suspend Radio Voice For Two Games

Ted Robinson
The 49ers suspended radio broadcaster Ted Robinson for two games Wednesday for inappropriate comments regarding domestic violence on KNBR 680 AM.

Bob Fitzgerald will replace Robinson the next two games, according to mercurynews.com. Fitzgerald served in the same capacity during the 49ers' exhibition broadcasts, and he's been the Warriors' longtime broadcaster.

Robinson, while co-hosting KNBR's drive-time show Monday with Tom Tolbert, weighed in on the domestic violence case involving former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice. According to The Associated Press, Robinson said Rice's now-wife, Janay, was partly to blame for not speaking up.

"That, to me, is the saddest part of it," he said on the air.
Robinson also was suspended by the Pac-12 Networks, which stated he will not call any Pac-12 games for two weeks and will undergo sensitivity training.

"I want to unconditionally apologize for my comments the other day," Robinson said in a statement. "As a professional communicator, I am responsible for my words. My choice of words was careless and does not reflect my true feelings about domestic violence. I understand that the cycle of abuse keeps people in unhealthy relationships. No blame or responsibility for domestic violence should ever be placed on a victim."

Tim Ryan, the 49ers' radio analyst, declined to comment on Robinson's suspension and had not heard Robinson's remarks Monday that led to the suspension.

No comments:

Post a Comment