Thursday, June 4, 2015

Mel Greig Talks About Her Depression Over Radio Prank Call

Former 2Day FM host Mel Greig has spoken out about her overwhelming depression and guilt following a prank call made during the Duchess of Cambridge's first pregnancy with Prince George, according to The Daily Mail.

Speaking at the Mumbrella 360 conference in Sydney on Wednesday, the 33-year-old said she felt like she had 'personally killed a mother' after the call went terribly wrong and was linked to the suicide of a nurse two days later.

According to Mashable, Greig had found it difficult to get back into the workforce following the tragedy.

'Basically, our integrity failed, commonsense failed and the process failed when that call was aired,' Greig said.  'I felt the most amount of guilt, I felt I personally killed a mother.

'My name was in the letter. No matter what I thought, this woman thought of me before she killed herself and I couldn't come to terms with that and I really did blame myself.'

Greig and fellow 2Day FM co-host Michael Christian posed as the Queen and Prince Charles as part of the prank in 2012 to gain information about the Duchess of Cambridge during her stay at The Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in Paddington.

Jacintha Saldana was the nurse who took the call at King Edward Hospital in London, taking her life two days later and mentioning the Australian radio hosts in a note she left behind.

Nearly two years later, the former radio personality has landed a new job at an advertising agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment