Wednesday, November 8, 2017

NYC Radio: Craig Carton Gives First Interview

Craig Carton (USAToday)
Craig Carton and former half of the “Boomer & Carton” pair on Sports WFAN 660 AM  / 101.9 FM has made his first public comments since his Sept. 6 arrest, revealing the toll his alleged role in a $4.6 million ticket-reselling scam has taken on both him and his family.

The NY Post reports Carton, who faces up to 45 years if convicted on charges of conspiracy, securities fraud and wire fraud, did not lay out his defense plan, but did tell USAToday that his world has come crumbling down.

“It is devastating,” Carton told the newspaper Monday. “There is no other word for it. It has thrown my entire life upside down — I have to talk to my kids about things that they might not understand but that I know they are reading … adult things that no kid should ever have to read about, especially when you are talking about their father.

“As far as the personal toll,” he added, “I was employed for 10 years at my dream job. I have no income now. My life unfortunately is kind of on hold. The last two months have been hell.”


His hell has been silence. Carton is struggling to come to terms with a life without sports-talk radio, without spouting his unfiltered takes on everything he sees. He said he still watches sports, if less attentively than in the past.

“It is killing me,” Carton said. “I made my living speaking and being opinionated on whatever it was I was speaking about. Now I am the focus of that. I am the subject that people are talking about. It is extraordinarily frustrating. It is maddening. It was beyond difficult to keep my lips tight for the last two months.”

Carton clearly wants to show he still has it. He vows he’ll be back on the air, seeming to push the trial out of his mind. His lawyer is building the case that Carton is a victim of the Ponzi scheme, while also fighting off charges Carton used $600,000 of the misappropriated money to pay off gambling debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment