Monday, December 4, 2017

'A Prairie Home Companion' Renamed 'Town Hall'

The host of “A Prairie Home Companion” who took over the show from its creator, Garrison Keillor, took to the stage Saturday evening in New York City and announced the show’s new name, after Keillor’s quick fall from grace this week.

“People are capable of such beauty. I aim to bring some of it to you on the radio every Saturday. And I’m as thrilled as ever to say, coming to you live from New York City, welcome to ‘Town Hall,’ ” said mandolinist Chris Thile, who took over the show in October 2016.

According to the Twin Cities Pioneer-Press, as he opened the show at New York’s Town Hall theater, Thile addressed the controversy that led to MPR ending all contracts with Keillor on Wednesday.

“Before we begin the show today I want to take a moment to address something which you’ve probably heard about by now, which is MPR is severing ties with Garrison Keillor over allegations of inappropriate behavior.

“This is, of course, heartbreaking news,” he went on, the theater hushed. “As I’ve said many times on the air, ‘A Prairie Home Companion’ has always been a source of refuge and inspiration for me personally. I really did tune in every Saturday as a kid, and like millions of us, I would not be the person I am today without ‘Prairie Home.’

“Today we are in the middle of a national movement which I believe represents progress. We’re recognizing the harmful power imbalance that women have had to endure for so long in our culture. My sincere hope is that with awareness will come improvement.

“As for this show, I want it to be a place for us to gather around, hear great music, laugh together, reflect and gain respite from our weekly troubles,” he said, just before announcing the new name to loud applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment