Wednesday, February 14, 2018

R.I.P.: WIOV Lancaster PA Morning Host Jerry Murphy


Cumulus Media’s WIOV 105.1 FM / I-105 in Lancaster, PA, is sad to announce the unexpected passing of longtime Morning Show Host Jerry Murphy, “Murph” of the “Murph & Casey” Morning Show.

Murph passed away unexpectedly Wednesday morning at the age of 61.  He was found dead in his East Lampeter Township home after he failed to show up for work.

He was the host of the very popular and highly rated morning show “Murph & Casey” with co-host Casey Allyn for 19 years.

Murph’s co-host Casey Allyn said, “Murph was my morning sunshine.  He could make me laugh every day harder than I've ever laughed.  After spending 5 hours each weekday in a small room with someone for 19 years he was definitely my 'work spouse'.  And for all the fun and craziness he exhibited, he was one of the most intelligent and caring people I knew.  I will miss him so unbelievably much.  He and I will always be 'just like that'.”

WIOV-FM I-105 Program Director Rich Creeger said, "​Murph was not only one of the most charismatic personalities I had the pleasure of working with but he was also a great friend. I will miss him tremendously."

Radio was Murph’s life and he spent his entire working life and career in radio, and found a home he loved waking up I-105 listeners every morning with Casey Allyn.

The station has set up a tribute to Murph on the station website at www.wiov.com where listeners can express and share their feelings on his passing.

The country station covers Lancaster and Berks counties' radio markets.

A few years ago, Murphy told lancasteroneline.com that  money brought him to Pennsylvania. His daughter wanted to go to college and he needed a better paying job than the gigs he had in North Carolina.

“Whoever gave me the most money got me," he says. “It was here."

Besides working in radio, he worked on the TV show “Dawson’s Creek," as a social worker on set with the kids. He even appeared in about 10 episodes as a background person in scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment